In life.

Candy Epidemic




(Pictured above: a bunch of fools I miss so dearly and a classically out of focus picture brought to you by Canon Rebel T3)

Updates on my life:

It's been awhile, friends. I've been meaning to post for awhile, but it's honestly, I have had some serious writer's block. I'm unsure what to make of this. On the one hand, maybe I'm less mopey and stressed so I have less to complain about. On the other hand, perhaps I've reached a comfortable spot of moving through the motions and lacking in some introspection. Either way, here are some things that have been going on:

  • I've finished two rotations since my last post: chronic pain and internal medicine wards. The former being great hours and with my own people (aka the anesthesia department). The latter being far more physically and mentally demanding, though extremely fulfilling from an educational standpoint and a feeling of "hey, I'm actually being a doctor right now. Legit!"
  • Several of my very close, very dear friends got engaged. I have 98% absolute joy for these events and about 2% low-key stress because I'm unsure how my work schedule will allow me to be a normal human who goes to her friend's weddings. 
  • I've started a rotation called "Academic Medicine Rotation" - aka the best rotation ever. I'm back in a classroom listening to lectures and doing homework assignments (for real, though). Ok true life the homework isn't great, but the learning is pretty good. More importantly, being with my anesthesia intern class is absolutely fantastic. 
  • In one week I finally go home for Thanksgiving. I haven't seen my family since May. For very obvious reasons, I miss them a whole lot. I am stressed about this as well given how little time I will have to try to spread myself to see as many Kentuckians as I can in 4 short days. 

Things I plan on working on in the coming semester of rotations:
  • Having some self-confidence that I might actually know something and can handle a stressful situation.
  • Stop eating candy at the hospital every day (this is a serious problem. there is candy everywhere.)
  • Actually teach medical students (retrospectively I now understand why I was often so neglected as a student...)

All in all, Parker and I have finally started settling in to our life here in NC. I use Apple Maps far less nowadays. I have recommenced my day-off rituals of roaming Target alone looking for anything to buy (I don't mean for this to sound lonely, this is legitimately one of my favorite activities to do alone). I even found some company with whom to get a manicure. I feel eons more comfortable with my abilities to keep patients alive, and I twitch a [just a] little less when people call me doctor (the twitch is from my internal fear instinct that someone might actually rely on my knowledge to take care of them). To everyone still remotely hanging on to my word vomit about this journey - I appreciate you! 

Until next time...

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.